Greyhound racing still exits in one track in Texas, the Gulf Greyhound Park in LaMarque. Write your legislators and Governor Perry urging them to support legislation that would ban greyhound racing in Texas.
NHES opposes greyhound racing for the following reasons:
• Dogs suffer serious injuries during training and racing. These injuries are rarely treated.
• Dogs who are not able to race are often sold to laboratories or simply shot in the head.
• While on the racing circuit, dogs are continuously confined in cages barely large enough for them to move around in.
• Dogs are given minimal veterinary treatment and suffer from poor nutrition.
• To ensure dogs race well, trainers often use performance-enhancing drugs.
• Dogs often race in extreme temperatures in both summer and winter.
• Live animals, usually rabbits, are used in greyhound training.
Rick Perry, Governor
P.O. Box 12428
Austin, TX 78711-2428